Skip to main content

What's in my yarn bowl

My lovely yarn bowl (Little Wren Pottery England)



Last year I was lucky to receive a yarn bowl, not any yarn bowl but the one featured in Simply Knitting. My son, Jack remembered that I loved it and kept looking at the page saying "that's clever I need one of those" Well he remembered and bought me one for mothers day last year. It's perfect for small projects like the Birch Trees scarf pattern I originally blogged about here. That very blog post has generated over 400 clicks?!  It just goes to show that a good title and adding to Pinterest and being featured in Simply Knitting for my WIP scarf can generate a whole lot of interest in blog land. I never did finish it because although the pattern is very straight forward I managed to get it wrong and have tried to get back to where I was before it went wrong and couldn't. So I decided last night to start again but this time in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino tomato that I had in my stash.
Anyway if you haven't been given one of these yarn bowls you need to start hinting. Made in England, beautiful hand thrown pottery at its best. I keep mine on show in the lounge when its not being used, actually its there most of the time because its too lovely to put away.

P.S. I'm not endorsing this product just giving my opinion of a lovely, practical knitting aid and sharing my thoughts.

 
Spring has arrived in my garden
 
Spring has finally arrived in my gloomy back garden. Signs of new shoots are appearing and I really must catch up on some gardening jobs including finishing off digging my veg patch and to get sowing, I'm way behind where I normally am at this time of year. Not much motivation when its cold and swimming has kind of taken over with my Swimathon just around the corner. Enjoy the rest of your Easter holidays and sunshine.



Comments

Winwick Mum said…
I bought a yarn bowl at Yarndale last year. I had thought that I wanted a wooden one but I ended up with a ceramic one and it's lovely. They're a great idea! xx
I keep on hinting for one but it's falling on deaf ears so I shall have to buy one myself. It is lovely x
Helen Philipps said…
Your yarn bowl is such a nice design, and so useful. How lovely that your son bought it for you too :)
Happy weekend.
Helen xox
Janet said…
What a lovely son you have. I'm thinking now that I need a yarn bowl.in my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!